Banana Split Nice Cream
This rich, dairy-free nice cream is one of our favorite summer treats.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Health Benefit: In addition to being a rich source of blood pressure–lowering potassium, bananas are a good source of fructooligosaccharides (FOS). FOS is a type of prebiotic that supports digestive health by helping the gut maintain a balance of “friendly” bacteria, or probiotics.
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp pure maple syrup, divided
3 cups sliced and frozen bananas
¼ cup toasted walnuts + 2 tbsp for garnish
1 cup frozen strawberries
3 tbsp plain unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp dried unsweetened pineapple, chopped
1. In a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt coconut oil. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder and 1 tbsp maple syrup. Set aside to cool.
2. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. To a high-powered blender or food processor, add bananas and purée until smooth. Add ¼ cup walnuts and pulse 3 to 4 times to break up. Transfer mixture to baking pan.
3. To blender, add strawberries, milk and remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup. Purée until smooth. Swirl mixture into baking pan. Drizzle in chocolate mixture and swirl to incorporate. Top with pineapple. Chop remaining 2 tbsp walnuts and sprinkle on top. Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours. If freezing for longer, thaw in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes to soften slightly.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 17 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4.5 g