Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. In a medium pot, add barley and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, mix together walnuts, basil, apple, maple syrup and cinnamon. Add cooked barley to mixture.
3. Cut squash in half across the middle and remove seeds (Tip: Try an ice-cream scoop.) Then trim ends off each squash half. Place, skin-sidedown, in a baking dish and drizzle each half with oil, dividing evenly.
4. Fill center of each squash half with barley mixture, dividing evenly. Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour, remove foil and bake for 20 more mi
- Serving Size ½ stuffed squash
- Calories 374
- Carbohydrate Content 62 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 11 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g