What's not to love about barley? Try another barley salad here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2/3 cup barley, rinsed
- 3 beets
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt, divided
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted hazelnuts, chopped
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add beets, reduce to a simmer and cook until fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, cool then peel and cut into quarters. Fill same pot with water and bring to a boil; add carrot, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes; drain. Transfer beets and carrots to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water. Add chicken and 1/8 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool slightly. With two forks, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, honey, 1 tsp water and remaining 1/8 tsp salt; set aside.
- Fill a large, deep skillet with ½ inch water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, add kale and cook, stirring, until bright green and wilted, 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, chicken, kale, beets and carrot. Drizzle lemon mixture over top and toss to coat. Garnish with goat cheese and hazelnuts.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 441
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 74 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g