Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
What’s not to love about barley? Try another barley salad here.
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add beets, reduce to a simmer and cook until fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, cool then peel and cut into quarters. Fill same pot with water and bring to a boil; add carrot, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes; drain. Transfer beets and carrots to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water. Add chicken and 1/8 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool slightly. With two forks, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, honey, 1 tsp water and remaining 1/8 tsp salt; set aside.
- Fill a large, deep skillet with ½ inch water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, add kale and cook, stirring, until bright green and wilted, 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, chicken, kale, beets and carrot. Drizzle lemon mixture over top and toss to coat. Garnish with goat cheese and hazelnuts.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 441
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 74 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g