Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 lb ball whole-wheat pizza dough, room temperature (TRY: CE's Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup boxed or jarred unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sucanat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan on high, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, until thickened. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken in a wide, deep skillet with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle flour over work surface and roll out dough to about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough and transfer to two parchment-lined baking sheets. Gather dough scraps and roll again as needed to make 36 circles.
- Transfer sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl. Shred chicken finely and add to bowl. Add red onion and stir to combine. Top each mini pizza with chicken mixture and cheese, dividing evenly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned, and dough is crisp around the edges. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrients per serving (3 mini pizzas): Calories: 247, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 34 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 14 g, Sodium: 254 mg, Cholesterol: 20 mg
Pizzas can be assembled in advance and frozen. Freeze pizzas in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets until firm, then transfer to zip-top freezer bags. Bake pizzas directly from frozen in a preheated 425°F oven for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro