How To Use It
- Try a spaghetti-and-meatballs alternative. Chop muffins and add to marinara sauce to top cooked zucchini noodles.
- Make a fast shepherd’s pie. Chop meatloaves and place in an ovenproof dish. Mix canned sweet potatoes with ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper; top meatloaf mixture and bake.
- Stuff peppers or zucchini. Cut zucchini or bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Cook some onions, celery and carrots until tender; crumble in meatloaves. Spoon mixture into bell pepper or zucchini halves and bake.
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb ground beef
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce, divided (TRY: Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion, sprinkle with one-quarter of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
2. Grease a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray (or set 12 silicone muffin cups on a baking sheet). To onion mixture, add beef, two-thirds of the barbecue sauce, eggs, almond flour, oregano, pepper and remaining three-quarters of the salt. Using your hands, mix gently but thoroughly, until ingredients are incorporated. Use an ice cream scoop to portion mixture and place in muffin cups.
3. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; brush tops of muffins with remaining barbecue sauce. Continue to bake until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes longer (an instant- read thermometer inserted into a muffin should read 160ºF). Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving. To store, let cool completely before placing in an airtight container; refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 2 muffins
- Calories: 401
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 156 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 608 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g