Beef Carnitas Tacos with Salsa Fresca
Taco night has never been so tasty! This recipe uses chuck roast, an economical cut of beef made for the slow cooker. Serve with our salsa fresca.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and oregano flakes
- 2 tsp ground chile powder
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt, ground black pepper and smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2-lb boneless blade or chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce, optional
- 8 oz crumbled queso fresca or feta cheese, optional
- Salsa Fresca
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, oregano, chile powder, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, paprika and cayenne. Rub spice mixture on all surfaces of roast. In a large heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high, heat oil. Sear meat, turning frequently until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer meat to a 6-qt slow cooker and reduce heat on pan to medium. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, vinegar and Worcestershire. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour broth mixture over meat, cover and set to low. Cook for 7 to 8 hours, until the meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork. Remove meat to a cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Return meat to slow cooker and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and bake until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all salsa ingredients. To serve, fill corn tortillas with ¼ cup shredded beef and top with 2 tbsp salsa. If using, top with lettuce and cheese.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 353
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6.5 g
- Sodium Content 296 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g