Love exotic chickpea dishes? Try this chickpea salad, too!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced into half circles
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 3/4 cups chopped fresh okra (or green bell pepper)
- 2 15-oz BPA-free cans unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7-oz plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup peeled,seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large nonstick pot on medium-high, add beef and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, breaking up beef with a spoon. Add jalapeños, red bell pepper, onion and okra and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through.
- Stir in chickpeas, cumin, chile powder and cocoa powder. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add 1 cup water and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber and cilantro. To serve, divide chili among bowls and top with sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup beef & chickpea chili and 1/3 cup yogurt sauce
- Calories: 389
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 63 mg
- Fat Content: 12.5 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 323 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g