Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb lean top round steak, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 oz carrots (about 6 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 lb white potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 10-oz bag frozen artichoke hearts (about 3 cups), thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat oil in a large, deep, straight-sided sauté pan on medium-high. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, then brown in pan for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook until beginning to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Add potatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix flour into pan, reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly so mixture doesn't burn. Add tomato, broth and 2 cups water, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Cover and cook for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add red wine, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, and artichokes. Re-cover and simmer for 15 more minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas, remove pan from heat and re-cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Divide mixture among 8 large soup bowls.
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 340, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 247 mg, Cholesterol: 38 mg