Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 tsp safflower oil
- 8 large English-style beef short ribs, 4 to 5 oz each
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a Dutch oven or large deep skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper and dust all sides with flour. Working in batches, sear ribs on all sides until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer ribs to a 5-qt slow cooker. Reduce heat on pan to medium and add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots have softened and are just starting to turn golden, about 4 minutes. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sherry, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add broth, orange juice and soy sauce. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Pour sauce over ribs, cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until meat pulls away easily from bones.
- Transfer ribs to a bowl and keep warm. Skim any fat from the sauce using a spoon. In a small pot, bring sauce to a boil on high, reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced by half, about 5 minutes. To serve, place 1 rib on each of 8 plates and drizzle with ¼ cup of sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 rib and 1/4 cup of sauce
- Calories: 326
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 58 mg
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 459 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g