Save on prep work by asking your butcher to remove all visible fat from your beef and thinly slice it for you.
If you love the flavor of fresh cilantro, try topping your stir-fry with a few teaspoons of the chopped herb instead of simply garnishing with a sprig or two. Opt for a sharp knife (serrated edges won't cut herbs cleanly) and use your chopped greens immediately to prevent browning. Or, better yet, save yourself the clean-up by tearing the herb into pieces for a rustic look.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup parboiled brown rice
- 12 oz top sirloin beef, trimmed of visible fat and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsp tapioca starch (Brand to try: Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 cups sugar snap or snow peas, trimmed
- 2 cups small fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced ginger root
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Keep warm and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef with salt and five-spice powder until evenly coated; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, tapioca starch, honey and 1/4 cup water; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1 1/2 tsp oil on medium-high. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer beef to a bowl. Add remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil to skillet. Add peas, mushrooms, garlic and ginger and saut_ for about 2 to 3 minutes, until peas are tender-crisp. Add vegetables to bowl with beef.
- Return skillet to heat, add soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 to 30 seconds or until thickened. Return beef and vegetables to skillet, tossing to coat. Remove from heat.
- Divide rice among 4 serving bowls. Spoon beef-vegetable mixture over top, dividing evenly, and pour skillet juices over each dish. Top each with 2 sprigs cilantro and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 365
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 45 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 567 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g