Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
See this recipe worked into a meal plan here.
- Arrange 1 oven rack in top and 1 rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Rub on all sides of beef and transfer to a roasting pan. Roast on center rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange pita quarters on a baking sheet and place ½ slice cheese in each. About 1 minute before beef is done, transfer pitas to top oven rack and bake for 1 minute. Turn off oven heat and let beef and pitas sit in oven undisturbed for 5 minutes. (Note: Beef should reach an internal temperature of 145˚F.) Remove beef from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes; keep pitas in oven until ready to serve. Thinly slice beef against the grain.
- Meanwhile, prepare pesto: In a food processor or blender, pulse basil and garlic until finely chopped. Slowly add oil and walnuts and pulse to combine.
- Remove pitas from oven. Open quarters and spread 1 tsp pesto in each. Divide beef and tomato among quarters.
- Serving Size 1/2 pita
- Calories 290
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 396 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g