When you think of winter veggies, deep purple beets probably come to mind. These vibrantly colored, hearty and earthy root vegetable make a great plant-based side or main when temperatures drop and the weather turns chilly. And when you add them into a salad like our Beet & Crispy Chickpea Salad, beets can take an already-healthy mix of greens to new nutritional heights.
In this salad, we’re making beets the star (though the crispy chickpeas are a crunchy, textured standout too!). Meaty and filling, they’re also loaded with beneficial nutrients. Beets are a true superfood, with a blend of so many different vitamins, minerals and other necessary nutrients that they’re comparable to some leafy greens. In fact, beets are bursting with so many antioxidants, they’re on pair with their veg cousins spinach, quinoa and Swiss chard when it comes to fighting free radicals. They offer 20 percent of your daily recommended folate and 14 percent of the manganese you need. And beets also offer nitrates, which are fantastic for your vascular and cognitive health. They’re even great for fighting age-related health conditions.
And when it comes to bringing this salad together, it’s super simple. Keep prep to a minimum by using packaged steamed beets rather than fresh — simply slice them up and toss them in. It takes just 30 minutes in total, including the time it takes to roast the chickpeas and turn them into a crunchy, crispy addition alongside the veggies, nuts and goat cheese.
Beet & Crispy Chickpea Salad
- Prepare chickpeas: Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add oil and spices; toss and spread in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once or twice, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: Add all ingredients to a container and shake well.
- Arrange greens on a platter or in bowls. Top with beets, walnuts, chickpeas and cheese. Drizzle with dressing.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate salad components and dressing separately; cover chickpeas at room temperature. Assemble when called for.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 527
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 723 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g