- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Olive oil cooking spray
3 medium beets, peeled, trimmed and diced
1 1/3 cups whole-wheat Israeli couscous
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned (about 2 cups)
1 tbsp orange zest
2 tbsp chopped green onion, green part only
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp 100% orange juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Pinch each salt and ground black pepper
4 tsp pine nuts, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray 1 large roasting pan with cooking spray. Place beets in pan in a single layer. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in oven for 15 minutes. Then, uncover and cook for another 10 minutes, until beets are tender when pierced with a fork; set aside to cool.
- While beets are cooling, boil 2 cups water in a medium pot over high heat. Pour in couscous, lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for 12 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, gently toss beets with oranges and zest, onion, oil, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. To serve, place 3/4 cup couscous on each of 4 plates, top each with 3/4 cup beet mixture and sprinkle with 1 tsp nuts.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cups beet citrus salad, 1 tsp pine nuts, 3/4 cup couscous
- Calories: 227
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 87 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g