Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 medium beets, peeled, trimmed and diced
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat Israeli couscous
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion, green part only
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp 100% orange juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tsp chopped pine nuts, for garnish
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray 1 large roasting pan with cooking spray. Place beets in pan in a single layer. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in oven for 15 minutes. Then, uncover and cook for another 10 minutes, until beets are tender when pierced with a fork; set aside to cool.
- While beets are cooling, boil 2 cups water in a medium pot over high heat. Pour in couscous, lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for 12 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, gently toss beets with oranges and zest, onion, oil, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. To serve, place 3/4 cup couscous on each of 4 plates, top each with 3/4 cup beet mixture and sprinkle with 1 tsp nuts.
Nutrients per serving (3/4 cup beet-citrus salad, 1 tsp pine nuts, 3/4 cup couscous): Calories: 227, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 46 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 87 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg