Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, turning halfway, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tsp oil to skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and carrot and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add berbere spice and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth and lentils and increase heat to bring to a boil. Nestle chicken pieces back into skillet, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serving Size 2 chicken thighs and 1 cup lentil mixture
- Calories 389
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 108 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 492 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g