Berbere Chicken & Lentils
This Ethiopian-inspired recipe combines chicken, green beans and lentils in one dish for a flavorful meal. Serve with injera (Ethiopian flatbread).
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrot (1/4-inch chunks)
- 1 tbsp berbere spice (TIP: Look for it at specialty markets or order from online retailers.)
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, turning halfway, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tsp oil to skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and carrot and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add berbere spice and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth and lentils and increase heat to bring to a boil. Nestle chicken pieces back into skillet, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serving Size 2 chicken thighs and 1 cup lentil mixture
- Calories 389
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 108 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 492 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g