Big Stack Burger
Want a burger to make your friends and family go wild? Our Big Stack Burger wins for the most mouthwateringly delicious patty, sauce and toppings!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed (NOTE: This recipe yields extra quinoa to reserve for a later use. If you have cooked quinoa in your fridge, use 1 cup or use a frozen and thawed precooked brand such as Village Harvest's Golden Quinoa.)
- 2 medium red onions, trimmed and peeled, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 18 oz extra-lean ground sirloin
- 4 oz lean chicken or turkey sausage, casing removed
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tsp smoked sweet paprika, divided
- 1 tsp mustard powder (TRY: Colman’s Dry Mustard Powder)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium dill pickle, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower, peanut or grape seed oil), as needed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 medium whole-grain buns, cut horizontally into 3 slices
- 4 cups sprouts such as daikon, radish or pea sprouts
- 2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 3 oz shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, optional
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and cool completely. Transfer 1 cup to a large bowl and reserve leftovers for future use.
- Meanwhile, slice 1 3/4 red onions into 1/4-inch-thick rings, keeping rings intact. Transfer rings to a resealable plastic bag and add wine. Squeeze air from bag so onions are completely covered; seal and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight.
- Grate remaining onion into bowl with quinoa. Add sirloin, sausage, parsley, 2 tsp paprika, mustard powder and garlic and mix until combined. Shape mixture into 8 1/4-inch-thick patties and transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, pickle, chives, Dijon, lemon juice, remaining 1 tsp paprika and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat a lightly greased grill or grill pan to medium-high. Drain onions, discarding wine. Add onions to grill for 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred and tender; set aside. About halfway through cooking time, mist burgers with cooking spray and add to grill. Grill patties until juices run clear, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes for medium-well doneness. (NOTE: To keep patties moist, do not overcook.) Transfer to a plate and cover. Grill buns, cut sides down, until golden brown and toasted. For middle bun, grill both sides.
- Assemble burgers: Divide sauce, sprouts, and tomatoes over bottom and middle slices of buns. Top each bottom and middle slice with 1 patty, cheese (if desired) and onions and sandwich with tops of buns. Secure with a short skewer, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 Big Stack Burger
- Calories 455
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 90 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 558 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g