Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Biryani paste is quite unique, so there is no equal substitute; however, you could use tandoori or korma paste – the flavor profile will be different, but it will be just as tasty.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir chicken with two-thirds of the biryani paste. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
3. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat one-half of oil. Add chicken and sear, turning once halfway through, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining one-half of oil to skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add remaining one-third of biryani paste, curry powder, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. And cauliflower rice and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk with arrowroot; add to skillet and simmer, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan, for 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro, apricots and two-thirds of the almonds.
6. Scrape into prepared casserole dish. Nestle chicken pieces into cauliflower rice mixture. Top with remaining one-third of almonds.
7. Bake until edges are golden brown and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes. Garnish with mint before serving.
TIP: You can buy riced cauliflower in the produce section of well-stocked supermarkets. If you can’t find any, it’s easy to make your own. Remove outer leaves of 1 large cauliflower. Using your hands, break apart into large florets. Chop core into small pieces. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, working in batches, pulse cauliflower until it resembles grains of rice.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 364
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 107 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 217 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g