Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
We transformed biscuits & sausage gravy from guilty pleasure to breakfast of champions.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 5 tbsp cold organic unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups plus ⁄ cup white whole-wheat flour, divided, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda)
- 1/4 plus ⁄ tsp sea salt, divided
- 4 scallions, light green and green parts only, sliced
- 3 piquillo peppers, patted dry and finely chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 all-natural lean Italian turkey sausages (about 3 1/2 oz each), casings removed
- 6 oz lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 eggs (over easy, sunny-side up or poached), optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut butter into 1/2-inch cubes and place on a small plate; return to refrigerator until ready to use. To a glass measuring cup or small bowl, add 3/4 cup milk and vinegar; stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt. Using a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers, add butter cubes to bowl and work into flour mixture until it reaches a loose, sandy consistency with pea size chunks of butter remaining. Add milk mixture and stir gently with a rubber spatula until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in scallions and piquillos.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, quickly shape into a thick disk. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour and roll out to approximately 3/4 inch thick. Using a 3-inch cutter, stamp out biscuits and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Gather remaining dough and re-roll to make a total of 8 biscuits. Bake in center of oven until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs and bottoms are golden brown, 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add sausages, turkey and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the meat into bite-size pieces, until no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together remaining 1 ⁄ 3 cup flour, remaining 2 3/4 cups milk, remaining ⁄ tsp salt and black pepper until smooth. To skillet, add flour-milk mixture and bring to a simmer on medium-high, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Split biscuits and place 2 halves on each of 8 plates. Over bottom half of each biscuit, spoon about 1/2 cup sausage gravy and top with eggs (if using). Sprinkle with chives and rest top halves of biscuits over gravy.
- Serving Size 1 biscuit and 1/2 cup gravy
- Calories 331
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 68 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 512 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g