Hannah potatoes are a variety of sweet potato with a pale, creamy color and drier texture that more closely mimics white potatoes. If you can’t find them, regular sweet potatoes will work just fine. If you prefer to use a raw pork chorizo instead of the cooked turkey chorizo called for here, simply remove from casing and cook, crumbling in the skillet, before starting the recipe. Set it aside and add back into the hash once the potatoes are tender.
PROTEIN POWER: This recipe is loaded with protein thanks to ingredients like black beans, Greek yogurt and turkey chorizo sausage. Dietary protein is an important nutrient that supports muscles and healthy hair, skin and nails. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, which help you feel more satisfied after a meal.
- Prep Time
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 lb cooked turkey chorizo sausage, finely chopped (or swap for raw pork chorizo, see note above)
1 large Hannah sweet potato, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Black Beans, No Salt Added)
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
1. In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
2. Increase heat to medium-high, add sausage and cook until browned and starting to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until just starting to brown, stirring frequently. Add cumin and paprika and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
3. Add ¼ cup water, cover and cook for 7 minutes, until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional 1 to 2 tbsp water if needed to prevent sticking. Stir in beans and cook for 2 minutes longer, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide among plates; top each with avocado, cilantro and yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 498
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 92 mg
- Fat Content: 29.5 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 603 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 17 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 6 g