Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato sticks with 1½ tsp oil, 1/2 tsp chile powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Transfer to sheet and bake until tender, about 20 minutes (TIP: If time allows, add an extra 5 to 10 minutes for potatoes to get extra-crispy.)
- Scoop out 1 cup flesh from baked sweet potato and transfer to a medium bowl. Add beans, ¼ cup cilantro, remaining ½ tsp chile powder and ¼ tsp salt, ¼ cup panko and egg, then mash well with a potato masher. Form into 4 ½-inch-thick patties and indent each one in the center with your fingers so patties cook evenly. Transfer remaining 1/4 cup panko to a plate and dredge patties in panko. Brush a medium nonstick skillet with remaining 1½ tsp oil and heat on medium. Add patties and cook for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until both sides are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash avocado with remaining 1 tbsp cilantro, lime zest and juice. Serve each patty topped with avocado mash and with fries alongside.
- Serving Size 1 burger with 1/4 of mash and fries
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 376 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g