Black Bean Tacos with Maqui Berry Salsa
Though its deep purple hue is instantly recognizable, maqui has very little flavor, allowing it to swing easily between both sweet and savory uses.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more taco recipes here.
- 2 cups blackberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp maqui powder (TRY: Navitas Naturals Maqui Powder)
- 1/2 large red onion, minced, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted black beans
- 1/4 tsp each chipotle powder and sea salt
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed (or 8 large romaine leaves)
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- Prepare salsa: In a small bowl, combine blackberries, lime juice, maqui powder and 2 tbsp onion. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add remaining onion and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes, until onion is very soft, stirring occasionally. Add beans and their liquid, chipotle and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, drain a scoop of beans and add to center of each tortilla. Top with bell pepper, salsa, cilantro and nuts. Serve any remaining salsa on the side.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 361
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12.5 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 151 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g