All-day energy: For a solid source of folate and fiber, try black beans. Folate is essential for energy and cell development, and it has been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing several types of cancer as well as dementia. With both soluble and insoluble fiber, black beans are a strong choice for steady blood sugar.
Cost per plate: $2.04
1. Place tortillas on rack in toaster oven and toast just until beginning to crisp, about 2 minutes.
2. Transfer tortillas to the small baking tray that comes with toaster oven; set aside. Heat toaster oven to 375°F.
3. In a small bowl, using a fork, mash beans until chunky. Stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Divide among tortillas, spreading to cover. Top with cheese. Return to oven and bake until bean mixture is heated through and cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Transfer tostadas to plates. Top with lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion and jalapeño (if using).
- Serving Size 1 tostada
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 490 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g