Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- To a medium bowl or saucepan, add beans and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain beans, transfer to a medium saucepan and add white onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially cover and cook until beans are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pico de gallo: In a small bowl, combine tomato, red onion and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer beans to serving plates. Top with queso fresco and pico de gallo, dividing evenly. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup beans, 4 tsp queso fresco, 4 tsp pico de gallo
- Calories 145
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 189 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g