Nutritional Bonus: One serving of this low-calorie soup provides nearly one-third of your daily fiber needs and 21% of your iron requirements for the day.
Video: How To: Beans
They're economical, full of fiber and great for the heart! Learn how to use your beans in Chef Jo's tutorial.
Video: Leafy Green Vegetables
Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.
Video: Cooking with Potatoes
Mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, even purple tomatoes! Chef Jo offers some tips and tricks where potatoes are concerned, plus a guide to each.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz collard greens, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 14.5-oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 12 oz red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat. Add collard greens, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and potatoes, and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in peas and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2 1/4 cups
- Calories: 180
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 710 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g