Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
What do a crunchy, stacked-high BLT sandwich and a saucy, toppings-laden pizza have in common? They’re two of the most beloved classic meals, and they’re totally crave-worthy. But you wouldn’t really think of either as a go-to breakfast food.
Well, we’re changing that. Our BLT Pesto Breakfast Pizza is both a sandwich and a pizza in one hearty morning meal. It takes the best parts of a BLT (like the salty, perfectly crispy bacon and juicy slices of tomato) and combines them with the best aspects of a pizza (like a sauce-topped crust and an array of toppings). And this morning-ready mashup makes for a meal that’s sure to fill you up and fuel you well past lunchtime.
Featuring a herbaceous basil pesto, fried eggs and super simple seasonings, this sandwich-pizza combo has everything. But this breakfast gets even better; it’s suitable for multiple dietary preferences. It’s Paleo-friendly, featuring whole-food ingredients that hunter gatherers would’ve dined on. It’s also gluten-free, made with a cassava flour dough that’s safe for all kinds of gluten sensitivities.
And if you’d like, you can customize the pizza toppings to suit a vegetarian or vegan diet too. Just skip the bacon or swap it out for your favorite plant-based alternative (we like tempeh – just try our Tempeh BLT to see how similar to bacon it can become!). You can also skip the eggs and add in extra veggies to make this versatile recipe suit your taste buds and your dietary needs.
Plus, you can’t overlook just how impressively versatile this BLT Pesto Breakfast Pizza is. While it makes a satisfying and filling breakfast, it’s also a great lunch or dinner too. After all, you’d munch on pizza or a BLT for either of these meals, so why not make this recipe for every meal? The only catch? You’ll like it so much, you might not have any leftovers!
BLT Pesto Breakfast Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Make the crust:
- In a large bowl whisk together the cassava flour, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Add the egg, oil, and water. Stir or knead to form a smooth dough.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Transfer the dough, parchment paper and all, to a baking sheet. Remove the top sheet of paper.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Spread the pesto on top of the crust. Layer on the bacon, tomatoes, eggs, and basil. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine