Blue Cheese Apple Slaw with Tangy Garlic Dressing
Sweet apple, crunchy celery and pungent blue cheese make for the perfect combination in this 25-minute slaw.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted walnuts
- 5 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large sweet-tart apple, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a small skillet on medium-low, add walnuts and toast, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrot, celery, apple, scallions and cheese. (Alternatively, place cabbage at the bottom of the bowl and arrange piles of ingredients over top.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp water until smooth. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 265
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g