NOTE: Don't be tempted to add all of the cane juice at once - spacing it out in 3 separate additions ensures the whole dish will be sweetened throughout.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 13 to 14 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup 1/3-less-fat plain cream cheese (TRY Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese)
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 5 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
- 1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sliced unsalted almonds
- 2 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic evaporated cane juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half of bread in bottom of dish, trimming as necessary to fit in a snug single layer.
- In a food processor (or with a blender or electric mixer), combine ricotta, cream cheese, 1 whole egg and 2 tbsp cane juice. Process until smooth. Pour mixture over bread layer and spread to coat evenly. Top with blueberries. Cover with remaining bread, trimming to fit in a single layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining 3 whole eggs, 1 tbsp cane juice, milk, egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour evenly over bread. Place almonds in a zip-top bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin. Add remaining 2 tbsp cane juice and shake to combine. Sprinkle over bread. Cover with foil and bake in center of oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until center is slightly puffed and set (filling will remain creamy). Then broil for 2 to 3 minutes, until top is slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare blueberry sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, 1/2 cup water and cane juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring often, until berries begin to burst and liquid thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Divide French toast into 10 portions and top each with 3 tbsp blueberry sauce.
- Serving Size: 3 x 4-inch squares, 3 T blueberry sauce
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 101 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 378 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g