Nutrients then and now: Compared with traditional blueberry cobbler
Calories then:478, calories now: 269; Total Fat (g) then: 13, total fat now: 9; Sat. Fat (g)then: 8, sat. fat now: 5; Carbs (g) then: 88, carbs now: 46; Fiber (g) then: 3, fiber now: 5; Sugars (g) then: 55, sugars now: 23; Protein (g) then: 6, protein now: 4; Sodium (mg) then: 340, sodium now: 260; Cholesterol (mg) then: 34, cholesterol now: 22
*Serving size is 1 biscuit and 1/2 cup filling.
**The blueberry cobbler used for comparison is the Very Best Blueberry Cobbler from allrecipes.com.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and mist an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. To a large bowl, add blueberries, 3 tbsp cane juice, tapioca starch, 1 tsp lime zest, lime juice and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir to combine and transfer to baking dish.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tbsp cane juice, 1 tsp lime zest and 1/4 tsp salt. Cut butter into small cubes and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, a fork or your fingers, work butter into dry ingredients until only pea-size lumps remain. Add buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
- With floured hands, divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a patty, approximately 1/3 inch thick. Place on top of blueberries, spacing randomly about 1/2 inch apart (it’s fine if some biscuits are touching). Bake until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through at their base (a toothpick should come out with moist crumbs), 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and serve warm.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g