- Prepare custard: In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup milk on medium until small bubbles form around edge, 3 to 4 minutes. In a heat-proof bowl, whisk one egg, rice flour, 1 1/2 tbsp cane juice and 1 tsp vanilla until thick. Slowly whisk in warm milk until smooth. Return to pot and bring to a boil on medium, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until pudding-like, about 30 seconds. Press mixture through a fine mesh sieve set over top of a small bowl. Cover custard surface directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mist two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line bottoms with 8-inch rounds of parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift spelt flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat three egg whites until foamy. Add 1 tbsp cane juice and beat until stiff peaks form. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup milk, melted butter and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat remaining two eggs and 4 tbsp cane juice until thick. With a rubber spatula , gradually fold in egg white mixture until no white streaks remain. Gradually fold in flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in milk mixture.
- Divide batter among cake pans. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack. Remove parchment from bottoms and cool completely. Cover top of one cake with custard; top with remaining cake.
- Prepare glaze: In a heat-proof bowl, set over top of a pot of gently simmering water; melt chocolate and 1 tsp butter, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in milk. Immediately spread over top of cake.
- Serving Size 1/10 of pie
- Calories 182
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 72 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 155 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g