Braised Beef with Caramelized Onions & Greens Chiffonade
Turnips stand in as a substitute for potatoes in this dish, while caramelized onions add a rich depth of flavor with the help of a little healthy fat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Looking for more beef recipes? Check out our collection here.
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, plus additional, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth, divided
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved (if small) or sliced ½ inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 large turnip, cubed
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 1 small bunch turnip greens
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Pat beef dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil on medium-high. Working in batches, sear beef in pot, browning well on all sides, for about 8 minutes. (NOTE: By working in batches, you’ll avoid overcrowding.) Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to low, add onion to pot and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until caramelized and golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in ½ cup broth and increase heat to bring to a boil, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in carrots, turnip, garlic, rosemary, beef and remaining 3 cups broth. Return to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours, until beef is very tender.
- About 5 minutes before beef is done, prepare greens chiffonade: Wash greens well and remove and discard stems. Stack greens and thinly slice crosswise into strips, about ¼ inch thick.
- Remove rosemary and discard. Stir in greens and season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
- Serving Size 3 oz beef and 2 cups vegetable-broth mixture
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 370 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g