Find more dinner recipes here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp kosher salt or sea salt + additional to taste
- 7 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
2 15-oz BPA-free cans unsalted chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans)
- 2 oz each dried unsweetened apricots, plums and figs (NOTE: Roughly chop apricots and plums; remove tough stems of figs and chop into quarters.)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 lb rainbow chard (leaves and stems), roughly chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- To a 5.5-qt Dutch oven (or larger) or a large pot on medium, add oil, onions, fennel and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the garlic, zest, cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Stir and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, chickpeas, apricots, plums, figs, broth and honey. Cover, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 minutes, until potatoes are barely tender. Stir in the chard. Cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, until greens are tender. Season with additional salt and pepper and garnish servings with cilantro.
TIP: This dish be served on its own or over couscous or rice, or with chicken over top.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 393
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 423 mg
- Sugar Content: 28 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g