Find more desserts here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Organic unsalted butter, for greasing
- 6 tbsp white whole-wheat flour + additional for dusting (TRY: King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and baking powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt or sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup raw unsalted Brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 stick organic unsalted butter (1/4 cup), softened
- 2 tbsp raw honey (preferably orange blossom)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter a 9-inch cake pan or pie plate, then dust with flour (tap out excess). Or butter then line bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, zest, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, dates, nuts and milk and mix well. (TIP: It’ll be thick and chunky, so you'll need to use some elbow grease.) Pour into pan, leveling off with the back of a spoon. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until top is light to golden brown and center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile, prepare butter: In a small bowl, combine butter and honey. Serve with bread. Bread can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of bread
- Calories: 227
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 69 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 76 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g