Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more desserts here.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter a 9-inch cake pan or pie plate, then dust with flour (tap out excess). Or butter then line bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, zest, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, dates, nuts and milk and mix well. (TIP: It’ll be thick and chunky, so you’ll need to use some elbow grease.) Pour into pan, leveling off with the back of a spoon. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until top is light to golden brown and center springs back when pressed.
- Meanwhile, prepare butter: In a small bowl, combine butter and honey. Serve with bread. Bread can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1/10 of bread
- Calories 227
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 69 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 76 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g