Brisket Tacos with Tangy Chimichurri Zucchini
The rich, deep flavor of braised beef is a perfect match for the subtle, sweet smokiness of ancho chiles. These melt- in-your-mouth tacos serve a crowd and can be made ahead – they’re tailor-made for a taco party!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- 1 tsp grape seed oil
- 3 lb flat-half beef brisket (TIP: Beef brisket is available whole or cut in half, as a flat cut or point cut. Opt for the flat cut as it has the least amount of fat.)
- 1 large white onion, halved and sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups boxed or jarred unsalted chopped or crushed tomatoes (TRY: Pomì Chopped Tomatoes)
- 2 ancho or guajillo chile peppers, trimmed and seeded
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
Tangy chimichurri zucchini
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1⁄8-inch-thick strips
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, stemmed and seeded
- Heat a large skillet on high and brush with oil. Add brisket and sear, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. (TIP: If skillet is too small for the entire brisket, cut brisket in half and sear in 2 batches, using half the oil for each batch.) Transfer brisket to a large plate. Add onion to skillet and sauté, stirring often, until onion releases liquid and begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add 3 cloves garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- To a 5-qt slow cooker, add tomatoes, chile peppers, 1 cup water and onion-garlic mixture. Nestle brisket in center of slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Prepare topping: In a large bowl, add zucchini. To a blender, add cilantro, parsley, vinegar, 1 clove garlic and jalapeño and pulse into a thick sauce. Pour over top of zucchini and toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate until needed. (MAKE AHEAD: Tangy Chimichurri Zucchini can be made up to 2 days in advance.)
- Switch slow cooker to warm setting and carefully uncover. Remove brisket and transfer to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred brisket by pulling meat across the grain. Return brisket and any accompanying juices to slow cooker and stir to coat. Spoon brisket-onion mixture into tortillas and top with zucchini mixture, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 375
- Carbohydrate Content 31.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 70 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 148 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g