Find more breakfast recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- ⅔ cup white quinoa, rinsed (TRY: Ancient Harvest Traditional Quinoa)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large eggs + 4 large egg whites, divided
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup ¼-inch broccoli florets
- 1 cup packed chopped stemmed Tuscan or lacinato kale
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist an 8-inch pie dish or quiche pan with cooking spray; set aside. (NOTE: Opt for a dish with a depth of about 1½ inches.)
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, quinoa and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
- Whisk 1 egg; stir into cooled quinoa. Stir in ¼ cup cheese. Press mixture into bottom and side of prepared pie dish. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is dry to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium-low. Add leek and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli, kale and ¼ cup water; cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and scrape into crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into crust and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 6 wedges; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To serve, transfer a slice to oven or toaster oven at 350°F until warm; can also be eaten cold.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of quiche
- Calories: 245
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 104 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 381 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g