Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more breakfast recipes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist an 8-inch pie dish or quiche pan with cooking spray; set aside. (NOTE: Opt for a dish with a depth of about 1½ inches.)
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, quinoa and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
- Whisk 1 egg; stir into cooled quinoa. Stir in ¼ cup cheese. Press mixture into bottom and side of prepared pie dish. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is dry to the touch, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium-low. Add leek and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli, kale and ¼ cup water; cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and scrape into crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into crust and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 6 wedges; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To serve, transfer a slice to oven or toaster oven at 350°F until warm; can also be eaten cold.
- Serving Size 1/6 of quiche
- Calories 245
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 104 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 381 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g