COST PER PLATE: $1.89
TOTAL COST: $7.56
Find more budget recipes here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 oz whole-grain elbow macaroni
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 4 spring onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced (TIP: If you can’t find spring onions, substitute with 4 green onions.)
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 6 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp each ground black pepper and cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta al dente according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 minutes of cook time. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large saucepan or deep skillet on medium, melt butter. Add onions and sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk in a slow, steady stream and cook, whisking, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Add cheese, mustard, salt, black pepper and cayenne and cook, stirring, until cheese melts. Add macaroni mixture and stir to coat.
- Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups
- Calories: 537
- Carbohydrate Content: 65 g
- Cholesterol Content: 59 mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 551 mg
- Sugar Content: 6.5 g