Your turkey is the star of your Thanksgiving table – so why settle for basic salt and pepper? This beloved bird can be a blank canvas for you to add different herbs, spices and other flavors. And with a combination of nutty, rich brown butter and fragrant herbs like sage and rosemary, you can make your turkey taste better than ever.
Worried about cook time when you’re having guests over? Make sure to prep the turkey the day before so it will be ready to roast on the day of. Then, all you’ll have to do is preheat your oven and keep an eye on your oven timer.
Be a Better Cook
For maximum flavor, make sure to rub the seasoning mixture both under and on the skin. Loosen the skin over the turkey breast and separate it from the meat, leaving the skin intact. Rub the salt mixture both under and over the skin.
Brown Butter & Sage Turkey
- One day ahead: Combine salt, sugar and pepper. Using your hands, loosen skin over turkey breast and separate it from meat, making sure to break through the thin membrane between skin and breast while leaving skin intact. Loosen skin over meaty part of legs. Rub salt mixture under skin, on skin itself and inside cavity. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low, melt butter. Cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, until foam dissipates and butter is very light brown with a rich, nutty aroma. Remove from heat; stir in sage. Transfer to a dish to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Bring turkey to room temperature. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Using your hands, rub sage butter onto every surface of turkey, under skin and inside cavity. Place onion, apple, celery and rosemary inside turkey. Tie legs together and tuck wing tips under. Place in a roasting pan.
- Roast for 45 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°F. Baste turkey and continue to roast, basting every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°F. Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest for at least 30 to 40 minutes before carving.
Make Ahead: Prepare the turkey through Step 1 the day before. Make the sage butter (Step 2) up to 1 week ahead; cover and refrigerate. Prep remaining ingredients and begin at Step 3 the day of serving.
- Serving Size 1⁄12 of recipe (based on a 14-lb turkey with leftovers)
- Calories 563
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 320 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 81 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 1,150 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g