Learn about common Thai ingredients and how to use them.
- 8 oz brown rice Pad Thai noodles
- 2 tbsp tamarind purée
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp date sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 red Thai chile peppers, finely chopped
- 8 oz pork loin cutlets, trimmed and cut into ½-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups chopped baby bok choy
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts, divided
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- In a large bowl, combine noodles with enough very hot tap water to cover. Soak until pliable, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small cup, combine tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and 1 tbsp hot water and stir to dissolve; set aside near the stove.
- In a wok or large sauté pan on medium-high, heat oil. Add garlic and chile pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 seconds. Add pork and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add bok choy and bell pepper and stir-fry until tender, 2 minutes.
- Push meat and vegetables to the side of the wok. Add eggs and stir-fry until just cooked, 1 minute.
- Add noodles and fish sauce mixture to the wok and stir-fry everything together until the noodles sear in places and soften a little, 1 to 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup onions, ½ cup bean sprouts and dried shrimp and stir-fry for 1 minute. Divide among bowls and top with remaining ¼ cup onions, ½ cup bean sprouts and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 12/3 cups
- Calories: 406
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Cholesterol Content: 133 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6.5 g
- Sodium Content: 400 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g