- Prep Time
- 1½ lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 3/4-oz slices bacon, no added nitrites or nitrates, finely chopped, optional
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped ½ tsp sea salt (see note)
- 3 soft-boiled eggs, sliced*
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and blanch for about 15 seconds. Quickly drain and rinse in cold water. Cut sprouts in half lengthwise.
2. Cook bacon (if using): To a medium skillet on medium, add bacon and cook for about 3 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside; leave the drippings in the pan. Add butter and shallot to skillet and sauté for about 2 minutes, until shallot is soft.
Add Brussels sprouts and toss to coat in butter. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften, then season with salt and cook until crisp-tender, another 2 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a serving dish. Top with cooked bacon and soft-boiled eggs. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve with avocado.
NOTE: You can skip the bacon in this dish. If you choose to do so, it will need a little more seasoning so increase salt to 1 teaspoon.
*MARIA’S PERFECT SOFT-BOILED EGGS: Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a simmer but not quite a boil. Gently place eggs in the simmering water and cook for 5 minutes, holding the water at a simmer, not a boil. Remove eggs and run under cool water. Once cool, carefully peel eggs.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 202
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 109 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 326 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g