Craving Buffalo wings coated in a layer of tangy, spicy sauce and paired with cool blue cheese dip? It might not be the first meal you think of as a nutritious dinner or a meal that’ll fuel your body with all the vitamins and minerals you need. But with a few tweaks, you can totally turn wings into a balanced meal – even one that’s great for digging into after a workout. And our Buffalo Drumettes with Blue Cheese Cauliflower Mash are exactly that.
Made with classic hot sauce, these drumettes are everything you want chicken wings to be. If sodium is a concern for the hot sauce used in this recipe, we suggest seeking out a low-sodium hot sauce instead.
While carbs are important for a well-rounded, post-workout recovery meal, we’ve swapped out potatoes here for a lower-carb, higher-fiber alternative: cauliflower. This makes the pairing of the chicken drumettes and mash a keto-friendly choice. However, if you aren’t following a keto or low-carb eating approach, you can always opt for true mashed potatoes. Either way, you’ll love how creamy and cheesy the mash is thanks to the addition of tangy blue cheese.
For more spins on Buffalo chicken, try these recipes:
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Buffalo Drumettes with Blue Cheese Cauliflower Mash
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring sauce ingredients to a simmer. Whisk until fully incorporated and smooth. Keep warm over low heat.
- For the drumettes: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Pat drumsticks dry and place on. sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 35 minutes. Flip and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and toss with buffalo sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven with 2 inches of water, steam cauliflower for 10 minutes, until tender. Strain and return to pot.
- Add sour cream, salt and pepper. Purée with a hand blender. Stir in half of the blue cheese. Plate and garnish with remaining cheese.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 560
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 308 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 52 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 1,421 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g