Do you prefer ketchup to other sauces? We've got you covered with this clean, homemade version.
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the spinach in this revamped recipe, one sandwich offers more than 100% of your recommended daily value (DV) of vitamin K, a nutrient that helps your body distribute bone-building calcium and improves the time it takes for blood to clot.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ lb lean ground bison or beef
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup BPA-free canned unsalted navy beans, drained and rinsed (TRY:Eden Organic Navy Beans)
- 1 cup jarred or boxed diced tomatoes (TRY:Pomì Chopped Tomatoes)
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted (TRY:Alvarado St. Bakery Sprouted Wheat Burger Buns)
- Heat a large sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid on medium-high. Gradually add bison a bit at a time and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot and spinach to pan and stir until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes, mustard, vinegar and maple syrup. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still moist and saucy, 8 to 10 minutes. Add green onions and stir to combine. Spoon into buns, dividing evenly.
- Calories: 268
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 292 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g