Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Do you prefer ketchup to other sauces? We’ve got you covered with this clean, homemade version.
Nutritional Bonus: Thanks to the spinach in this revamped recipe, one sandwich offers more than 100% of your recommended daily value (DV) of vitamin K, a nutrient that helps your body distribute bone-building calcium and improves the time it takes for blood to clot.
- Heat a large sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid on medium-high. Gradually add bison a bit at a time and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot and spinach to pan and stir until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes, mustard, vinegar and maple syrup. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still moist and saucy, 8 to 10 minutes. Add green onions and stir to combine. Spoon into buns, dividing evenly.
- Calories 268
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 35 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 292 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g