Tired of the same old veggie sides? You don’t have to settle for basic or bland, and these Buttermilk-Drizzled Greens with Crispy Shallots are the perfect example. This side dish features two incredibly good-for-you leafy greens, Swiss chard and kale. But one bite of the greens paired with perfectly-fried shallots and topped in the decadent dressing will have you enjoying veggies in an entirely new way. We’ve layered in multiple textures — from the crunch of the shallots to the creamy dressing to the pop of the poppy seeds — to really dress them up. These greens are ready for the holidays, dinner parties and even elevated weeknight dinners.
Be a Better Cook
How can you achieve perfectly crunchy, crispy shallots? When shallow frying, be sure not to overcrowd the pan. It lowers the temperature of the oil and may result in a soggy texture in your finished dish. Work in batches as needed.
Buttermilk-Drizzled Greens with Crispy Shallots
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Prepare crispy shallots: In a medium bowl, toss shallots with arrowroot until well coated. In a medium saucepan, heat safflower oil on medium. Working in batches, add shallots and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a paper towel–lined plate. Season with one-half of the salt.
- Prepare greens: In a large skillet on medium-high, heat olive oil. Add chard and kale stems and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are starting to soften but haven’t taken on any color, about 2 minutes. Add chard and kale leaves, season with remaining salt and cook, tossing occasionally, until leaves are tender about 3 minutes.
- Transfer wilted greens to a platter, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle shallots over top.
MAKE AHEAD: Make the dressing (Step 1) up to 5 days in advance. Crispy shallots (Step 2) can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container with paper towels. You can also prep the greens in advance then proceed with Step 3 right before serving.
- Serving Size 1⁄8 of recipe
- Calories 100
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 413 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g