Find more butternut squash recipes here.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large saucepan on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add barley and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute.
2. Add broth, bay leaf and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender yet still slightly chewy in center, about 50 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss together squash, sage, remaining 1 tbsp oil, pepper and salt. Arrange in a single layer on prepared sheet. Bake, without turning, until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake until pine nuts are golden, about 4 minutes more. Transfer sage to a plate; set aside.
4. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add three-quarters of the squash mixture to the barley. Once cooked, remove from heat and break up squash completely with the back of a wooden spoon. Add cheese, stirring to combine. To serve, top with remaining squash mixture and sage.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 407
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 466 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g