Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. In a large Dutch oven on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion, carrot, celery and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in jalapeño and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, squash and ½ tsp each salt and pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Add beef, cumin, oregano, chile powder, paprika and remaining ½ tsp salt; cook, stirring to combine and break up meat until beef is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and broth. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Garnish with optional toppings of choice. Or let chili cool then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size 1¼ cups
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 660 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g