Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Butternut squash is an excellent source of carotenoids, which are antioxidant compounds that help fight oxidative damage in the body and are thought to help prevent a number of conditions such as age-related macular degeneration.
MAKE AHEAD: To save time, you can roast the squash and make the enchilada sauce up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate both ingredients until ready to assemble and bake.
Love butternut squash? Try this recipe, too!
- In a large skillet on medium-high, add chiles in batches, and toast, turning occasionally, until blistered and darkened, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with 5 cups water and set aside for 30 minutes. (TIP: To keep chiles submerged, place a plate directly over top chiles.)
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, toss squash with oil. Arrange on a large, rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare enchilada sauce: Drain 2 cups water from chiles. Transfer chiles and remaining water to a blender, along with garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano and salt; purée. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer squash to a medium bowl and stir in about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce; keep oven on. Transfer remaining sauce to a round 8- or 9-inch shallow bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Warm a small nonstick skillet on medium. Add one tortilla and cook until soft and pliable, 15 to 30 seconds per side. Dip tortilla in enchilada sauce to coat both sides, then transfer to baking dish. Arrange a scant 1/4 cup squash down center of tortilla. Roll up tortilla, enclosing filling, and place seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and squash. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas and bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with queso fresco and scallions.
- Serving Size 2 enchiladas and 2 t queso fresco
- Calories 311
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 360 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g