- In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Add onion and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring, until onion turns golden brown and begins to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, cut cabbage into 8 thin wedges, leaving core of each as intact as possible to hold cabbage together. Set aside.
- Add garlic to pan with onion and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in 1/2 cup broth. Increase heat to bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently and scraping browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, vinegar, parsnips and cabbage. Season with pepper and add 1 whole tarragon sprig. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 10 minutes, until cabbage is just tender.
- Stir and add remaining 1/2 cup broth. Stir in apples and currants, cover and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are very tender. Strip leaves from remaining tarragon sprigs and finely chop leaves. Remove and discard whole tarragon sprig from pan. Sprinkle cabbage mixture with chopped tarragon.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 50 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g