Cabbage rolls are an almost universal dish. I mean, who doesn’t love the mixture of meat, spices, grains and veggies all rolled into one warm and hearty dish? It’s everything you could need and want in every bite. And our Cabbage Roll Bowl takes the spirit of this classic food, unwraps it and makes it even better for you (and keto-friendly!).
Where, exactly, did cabbage rolls originate? Though they first popped up in Germany, they’re commonly found in cuisines around the world, beloved and eaten often in all areas of Europe and throughout Western Asia – and they’re eaten in Northern China and parts of North Africa too. But every region and cuisine makes their take on the cabbage roll a little differently, swapping the fillings and sauces depending on what kinds of ingredients are available locally. In Eastern Europe, tomato-based sauces reign supreme; in Sweden, sweet berry-based jams are the go-to.
We’ve taken inspiration from the cabbage rolls of Eastern Europe and made a low-carb, high-fat version that’s totally keto. We’re pairing the ground meat of your choosing (we like beef or lamb) with a no-sugar marinara sauce. And instead of steaming the rolls, we’ve broken them apart into an easy-to-assemble bowl, using cauliflower rice as our low-carb stand-in for grains.
Plus, every forkful you enjoy of this Cabbage Roll Bowl is fantastic for your nutrition. It’s got everything you need: Low in carbs and high in fat for keto eaters, plenty o protein and multiple vegetables for an array of vitamins and minerals. Cabbage in particular, which makes up the base of the recipe, is one mighty veggie. Whether you’re eating red, purple, white or green cabbage, it’s a cruciferous leafy green enjoyed worldwide and loaded with nutrients – particularly vitamin K. Just one cup contains up to 85 percent of your daily need of this vitamin, which is required for blood cutting and optimal heart health.
Now that’s a great reason to dig into this delicious, satisfying bowl.
Cabbage Roll Bowl with Cauli-Rice & Dill Sour Cream
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add lamb and one-half of the onion and cook, stirring, until no pink remains, 4 minutes. Drain and return to skillet. Add coconut aminos, garlic, one-half of the Italian seasoning and all of the red pepper flakes. Cook 5 minutes, until lamb is browned.
- Add cabbage and cook for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add broth and stir, scraping the bottom. Stir in marinara and one-half of each salt and pepper. Cover skillet, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for 20 minutes more, until cabbage is tender and sauce is reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet on medium-high, melt butter. Add remaining onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until soft. Add riced cauliflower; cook, stirring,
for 3 minutes, until brown in spots and tender. Add Parmesan, parsley, remaining Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, lemon juice and dill.
- Serve lamb mixture over cauli-rice and dollop with sour cream sauce. Sprinkle with dill fronds.
- Serving Size ⅙ of recipe
- Calories 334
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 84 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 568 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g