Cajun Catfish Po’ Boy & Cooling Vegetable Salad
You need not head south for the fatty, deep-fried original – try this cleaner take on New Orleans' classic sammie, with grilled fish, lots of veggies, whole-wheat baguette and a light goat cheese spread.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Cooling vegetable salad
1 cup cucumbers, peeled and halved
10 grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup carrots, shredded
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
¼ cup red onion, diced
¼ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 3-oz catfish fillets
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1½ tsp Cajun spices
4 oz bakery-fresh wholewheat baguette, sliced into 4 pieces and toasted
4 slices red onion
4 slices tomato (each slice ¼-inch thick)
2 Boston lettuce leaves
Goat cheese spread
1 oz goat cheese
3 tbsp nonfat Greek-style yogurt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, minced
3 tbsp carrots, shredded
2 tbsp cucumbers, diced
½ tsp ground black pepper
1. Ensure that 2 racks are in middle positions in oven. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Prepare Cooling Vegetable Salad: In a medium bowl, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, carrot, parsley and onion. Then add pepper, garlic powder, oil and vinegar and stir until vegetables are evenly coated. Place in refrigerator to let flavors meld until ready to serve meal.
3. Prepare Cajun Catfish: Place catfish on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Brush fillets with oil and sprinkle with spices. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until flaky and no longer translucent.
4. Prepare Goat Cheese Spread: In a small bowl, stir together cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, parsley, carrot, cucumber and pepper until combined. Set aside.
5. To assemble each sandwich, smear Goat Cheese Spread on 1 side of a baguette slice and set aside. Place a catfish fillet on another slice of baguette. Top fillet with 2 onion slices, 2 tomato slices and 1 lettuce leaf; then top with reserved baguette slice, spread-side-down. Repeat with remaining catfish fillet and accompaniments. Serve with Cooling Vegetable Salad. Keep stored in refrigerator for 2 to 4 days to ensure freshness.
- Serving Size (2 oz baguette, 3 oz catfish, 1 cup salad, 2 slices onion, 2 slices tomato, 1 lettuce leaf, ¼ cup goat cheese spread
- Calories 345
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 64 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 7.5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 592 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g